Design is the translation platform for bringing scientific and technological advances to broad benefit to society. The School of Design is committed to educating students into the skills and theoretical foundations of creative thinking of a wide range of fields of design, including object design, wearable design, interaction design, experience design, and environmental design, with a contemporary focus on the opportunities for smart materials and devices, enhancing inclusiveness in society, and improving wellness through design. Particular attention will be paid to the ethical and professional responsibilities of design. Working closely with industry, the program will develop innovation, entrepreneurship, and creativity to drive the national and global outcomes from better design. Located in the global center for manufacturing and production, we are in an unparalleled context for developing creative ideas and delivering the outcomes to everyone in the world. Graduates will have capabilities to research, design, collaborate, and communicate and will find future employment in designing consumer and IT products, furniture, toys, interaction, games, and exhibitions, or prepare for a career in research and academia.
Upon graduation, students will:
1. Attain the ability to recognize and grasp opportunities to use design skills to conceptualize and create the future.
2. Draw upon and integrate knowledge from diverse domains, including humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and technologies.
3. Have developed skills and theoretical foundations for self-directed designing and learning.
4. Use contemporary tools, techniques, and systems to deliver robustly designed outcomes.
5. Develop capacities for critical thinking and evaluation that lead to design advances.
6. Hold aesthetic and ethical perspectives to guide responsible practice.
7. Be able to work effectively and respectfully in multicultural team contexts to pursue diverse opportunities.
8. Be aware of the social, cultural, and environmental impacts of design.
Study Length and Graduation Requirements
Study length: 4 years. 3-6 years of flexible study length is applied.
Degree conferred: Bachelor of Engineering
The minimum credit requirement for graduation: 147 credits (excluding English courses)
Foundational Courses: Visual representation, 3D from 2, additive manufacturing, responsive systems, theory & history of design, ethics, and social-cultural systems
Core courses for Object Focus: Designing across time and space, product realization, manufacturing systems, research methods, research project
Core courses for Experience Focus: Game survey & evaluation, making a game, sound and senses, research methods, research projects
Studio work, Internships, Entrepreneurship Project, Graduation Project, etc.
For more information, please download our cultivation scheme below: